What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, they say. Sure, now you have to think alot more about your actions during the day and plan things out more. But, what made us think we could spend, spend and spend and not save for a rainy day? Have we been brainwashed to spend, spend, and spend? During these tough economic times, we have to find our old frugal ways and be happier with less things, less money, and even less time. So what are those frugal ways anyway? Just start writing down everyday in your journal where your money is going. You will be surprised where you waste money.
- Maybe stop going into the stores and getting persuaded by a store clerk. Using shopping as a fun activity can be a detriment to your wallet.
- Check out some free events on lafreebee.com. There are many things that you can do that are satisfying and won't break the bank.
- Bank of America offers free museums every first weekend of the month if you show your Bank of America card. Just get into the habit of not having to spend money to entertain yourself.
- Next, look at your home bills. Do you really need cable? The channels that are now able to be seen with the digital converter box are pretty good. There are now more travel channels and interesting news channels.
- Do you really need to be connected to the Internet 24/7? We've gotten used to this lifestyle but do you really need to check the same three websites over and over again?
- Spend more time with your family or doing other things rather than staring at a computer screen looking at the same websites over again. You can check those websites once a day at the library or at a wireless spot.
- Now, getting to clothes, jewelry and shoes shopping! Make your own jewelry. Use old jewelry to make necklaces and earrings.
- Organize your closet and find a good couple of jeans that are still usable.
- Also, there are always ways to spend less but it will take you an extra couple of minutes!! Find parking farther and avoid those parking garages. But that will take you an extra half an hour sometimes.
- Stop spending money on ATM fees and have some cash in your wallet.
- Write down all your gas trips and see where you can cut down.
Good luck on these new habits and hopefully you will be able to save for your future!